On holiday you’ll find cabs from the Barcelona taxi system everywhere – you likely won’t wait more than a minute and prices are cheaper than most major European cities.
Yes, it’s still the most expensive way to get around but with a few precautions taking a taxi in Barcelona can be a great way to get around.
Before getting started you may also want to take a look at Taxileader.
This fully licensed, highly regulated taxi company is a great service to get a free quote on your ride in just seconds. It’s my go-to option for getting a taxi from the airport or any other large trips you have in mind.
How to Get a Taxi in Barcelona
Look for fluorescent green lights in the windows – these ones are free.
To book a taxi in advance call +34 93 225 0000 (mandatory for more than 4 passengers). You can also book Barcelona taxis using any of their company-supported apps.
There’s a useful taxi fare calculator available online.
Barcelona Taxi Prices 2018
There is a minimum charge of €2.15-€2.30 depending on the time of day.
A typical taxi trip in the city costs €6.00 to €15.00.
|T1* 2018||T2* 2018||T3* 2018||T4* 2018|
|One hour waiting||22,10€||22,40€||22,40€||0,00€|
- Tariff T1. Weekdays 8 am to 8 pm: €2.15 + €1.13 per km.
- Tariff T2. Weekdays 8 pm to 8 am + Sat and Holidays 8 am to 8 pm: €2.15 + €1.34 per km.
- Tariff T3. Sat and holidays 8 pm to 8 am: €2.30€ + €1.40 per km.
- Tariff T4. This is the flat rate of €39.00 between the cruise port and the airport.
- Airport: €3.10 (the minimum charge to Barcelona is €20.00).
- Cruise terminal/port: €3.10.
- Major stations (Sants, Norte, França and the Exhibition Centre): €2.10.
- Large baggage (bigger than 55 x 35 x 35 cm): €1.00 each.
- Special nights (23-24 June, 24-25-31 December, January 1st): €3.10.
- Wheelchairs, strollers, guide dog: Free.
Taxis at Barcelona Airport
There are taxi stands in both terminals which are easily found following the signs outside departures. The minimum airport charge from El Prat airport is €20.00.
The typical cost of a taxi from Barcelona airport to the centre is between €30.00 to €35.00. From Terminal 1 (T1) expect to pay about €30.00 while Terminal 2 (T2) is about €35.00.
For groups larger than four ask one of the taxi stand attendants to call a van taxi (€3.10 supplement).
Barcelona Taxi Safety and Complaints
This isn’t a trip to the ‘big square’ in Marrakesh – we’re taking a taxi in Barcelona! Drivers are required by law to run on the meter so you’re unlikely to get ripped off.
The ones I’ve dealt with are honest. Whether I’m speaking to them in Spanish or doing a ‘marketing test’ in English the results are the same: a logical route with no hassles.
I’ve heard very few bad Barcelona taxi stories, and most came from people who enjoyed Barcelona’s best nightlife a little too much. If you’re tipsy just get in that cab, pronounce the name of your hotel confidently, and pay attention!
Bad experience? Ask for a receipt (un recibo) and cite it using this taxi complaint form.
The form must be mailed to: Metropolitan Taxi Institute, Carrer Número 62 No. 18, Barcelona, Spain, 08040.
Wheelchair Accessible Taxis in Barcelona
While typical Barcelona taxis are not outfitted for disabled visitors there is a separate company called Taxi Amic. These spacious tailor-made taxis come with a special ramp to accommodate wheelchairs.
Timetable: weekdays from 7:00 am to 11:00 pm, weekends 8:00 am to 10:00 pm.
You can book the taxi online (with 24 hour’s notice) at the Taxi Amic website.
To book a taxi via phone call Taxi Amic at +34 934 208 088.
Barcelona Taxi Hacks
- Taxis with green lights can’t pick you up within 200 meters of any taxi stand.
- Don’t tip the drivers (tipping is not expected anywhere in Spain).
- For €2-3 extra you can call for an ‘ecological’ taxi at (0034) 932-783-000.
- If your hotel is near the airport check first to see if your hotel includes free shuttle service.
- Supplements are usually added at the end of the trip.
- Many of the smaller tourist streets in the Gotico, Raval, and Born are pedestrian-only. Check your destination and try to find a logical drop-off point in advance to avoid the driver giving you the run-around.
- Make sure you’re heading the right direction. Most Barcelona streets are one-way, so often a quick look on your smart phone GPS to position yourself on the right side of the street could save you money.
- The lost property contacts are +34 90 210 1564 or [email protected]
When to Take a Taxi in Barcelona
It’s so easy to get around Barcelona by public transport that taking taxis can be impractical.
For this reason I suggest taking a taxi in Barcelona if:
- You’re in a big hurry.
- The company is paying.
- It’s raining (rare).
- You’ve had a few drinks (not rare).
- You’re made of money (very rare).
If you’re going anywhere in groups of three or four the price difference between a taxi and the metro is negligible. You’ll get nearly anywhere central for 2-3 euros each.
Especially at night when buses run less frequently, getting an extra 45 minutes of sleep and not dragging your luggage around town at 4:00 am might be worth the extra money.
TAXILEADER – Barcelona Airport Taxi Transfer
Taxis are surely the quickest way to get to your hotel from the airport.
A ton of people have been asking me if there are any booking services and for this reason I’ve decided to go ahead and partner with Taxileader and their supper efficient airport transfer to and from El Prat.
By clicking the blue button below you’ll get a free trip estimate in just seconds.
After using this service personally I can say the the prices are honest and many of my readers have said the same.
What’s cool is that you’ll have a little James Bond moment by arriving to your driver holding a sign with your name on it.
To book you’ll simply have to leave a valid credit card as a guarantee. You’ll only end up being charged at the end of the journey. If you want you can also pay in cash.
If you’re travelling with kids you’ll also be entitled to a car seat or booster seat for free!
Getting Around with Cabify
Here’s a great new service that’s only just recently launched in Spain.
As mentioned this is a private taxi service similar to Uber only better. These are licensed drivers hired by Cabify that pay taxes and are subject to Spanish law. In fact, it’s a Spanish company.
The elegant black cars are always clean and in tip top condition. The drivers are polite, well-dressed, and reserved. The thing that surprised me the most is that they won’t talk unless spoken to! The drivers are used to working with foreigners and have good levels of English.
Also, compared to regular Spanish taxi drivers they drive (perhaps mandated by the company) in a much safer manner.
All Cabify cabs come with free wifi (the password is cabifymola).
Best of all? You’ll get €10.00 off your first ride downloading the app using my link below!
I don’t know how they do it but they cost very little!
While public transport options will always cost less, compared to regular taxis there’s a big difference. Here are a couple of examples:
- Plaça Catalunya to my house: €14.00 – €15.00 with a normal taxi/€9.38 with Cabify
- Airport to city centre: €30.00 – €35.00/€27.00 with Cabify
These are prices that barely fluctuate even with traffic. The only change you’ll incur is a small nighttime supplement which is negligible.
How Cabify Works
Like Uber you’ll need to have a basic understanding of using mobile apps – the app is in English so you’ll have no language barrier at any point.
Here are the steps to ordering your cab in Barcelona: Here are the steps to ordering your cab in Barcelona:
- Sign up using this link (you’ll get a €10.00 discount on your first ride).
- Download the app.
- Put in your details and a payment method (bank cards or PayPal).
- Indicate the pick up address and destination address.
- Check the final price and pickup wait time (usually no longer than 10-20 minutes).
- Finalize payment.
- Receive/check the confirmation email (ride summary + link to rate the driver later).
- Select options like the type of music you’d like, air conditioning, if they open the door etc.
- You can also select a luxury car (more expensive) or a standard one called ‘lite’.
- Get picked up!
A few restrictions/guidelines
No cash is given to the driver as the money is debited automatically.
Cabify can be booked up to one hour in advance.
There is a €6.00 minimum purchase with Cabify and a €10.00 minimum if booked in advance.
If you make a mistake in the booking process you have 10 minutes to cancel the booking without charges (if booking in advance you can cancel up to an hour before the trip).
If you’re running late you’ll have a 15 minute courtesy after which you’ll incur a rate of €0.55 a minute for the driver’s wait.
Getting From Barcelona Airport to the City Centre
Everything goes just as I’ve explained above.
If you’re looking to book a Cabify once you’ve landed at the airport I suggest you keep in mind the €0.55 a minute waiting charge should you use up your 15 minute courtesy. If your flight is delayed this could be a problem.
To avoid this I suggest one of two options: To avoid this I suggest one of two options:
- Book your Cabify once you’re aboard the plane and sure you’ll depart on time (it takes 2 minutes)
- Book once you’ve landed if you’ve got a roaming data plan
What’s cool here is that you can even use the app to put in a special request that the driver show up at the Terminal with a placard with your name on it 😉 Just make sure you specify whether it’s Terminal 1 or Terminal 2.
At the moment the service is not available from Girona Airport.
Do let me know how your Cabify journey went in the comment section below! Is it better than taking a taxi in Barcelona or what?
Booking Taxis via the MyTaxi App
At the end of the day this service combines the convenience and preciseness of Uber with the legitimacy and safety of using the city’s black and yellow cabs.
Since this app utilizes the city’s black and yellow cabs the price is the same as quoted above.
The good thing about booking using the app however that the address and directions will be more precise and there’s no way the cab driver can rip you off taking the long way. It also beats standing on the corner waiting.
Another advantage? With your first trip using the buttons below you’ll get a €5.00 discount on your first ride using the code ‘ashley.pil’.
How to Book
To book a taxi in Barcelona via MyTaxi just follow the instructions below:
- Download the app using the buttons above.
- Indicate your personal details and payment methods: this way you won’t have to fool around with giving cash to the driver and there’s no chance they won’t know where it is since it’s connected to the GPS.
- Under the “promo code” portion of the app insert the discount code “ashley.pil” to have a €5.00 discount on your first trip.
- You’ll then need to insert your pickup and drop off points (just like Uber) and you’ll be quoted an estimate on the price.
- Get in and enjoy the ride! You’ll be able to follow the journey progress on your phone.
- You’ll be debited the price at the ride’s conclusion.
Help Me Help You
You’re ready for your Barcelona taxi experience but if you’re not sure make to drop me a line in the comments below with your destination and I’ll let you know the best way to get around.
Also don’t be afraid to join the taxi discussion in my new Facebook group called I’m Off to Barcelona – here you can ask any questions, air out grievances, chat with fellow travelers, and more – anything goes!