Today there’s an increased focus on the environment and minimising energy consumption.
Barcelona is leading the way with its superblocks initiative to keep the city greener and has started giving cycle-paths priority over automobiles on some of the city’s main streets.
But what can tourists do?
My suggestion is to start small by renting environmentally friendly transport 🙂
WHY RENT A BIKE IN BARCELONA?
We’ll start with the classic environmentally-friendly way to get around – the bicycle!
It’s not exactly Amsterdam but there are 100 km of designated bike lanes (and 200 km more on the way) even on main roads and the weather is perfect for cycling so why not take advantage?
With your Barcelona bike rental you’ll be able to go anywhere in the city. Practically every one of Barcelona’s main attractions is reachable by bicycle.
Don’t believe me? Check out the map of bike lanes in Barcelona.
A Reliable Barcelona Bike Rental Option
Of all the places to rent a bike in Barcelona tons of tourists have recommended a classic shop owned by a guy named Luciano and his wife Ivy.
Not only have they become friends of the blog due to their reliable service, durable bikes, and amazing prices (starting at only €5) but they offer some of the most flexible rental windows in the business. You can rent by the hour, but also by the day or week.
You’ll find their shop a stone’s throw away from some of the best beaches in Barcelona. It’s the ideal place to take your first pedal around city and its amazing seaside boardwalk.
Click the button below to get more info on prices and reservation:
RENTING A SEGWAY
It’s the hip new thing to do, this segway rental business.
I never thought it would take off and yet I see the area near the beach absolutely full of them. The appeal? Being able to get from A to B without even peddling! 😉
While I wouldn’t recommend one for getting to Barcelona’s essential sights they’re still a ton of fun.
You can rent a segway in Barcelona for as little as €10.
I’d recommend renting a segway for only a couple of hours to cruise around the beach but not to get around the city – renting one for a day or two can get pretty expensive.
ROLLERBLADES AND SKATEBOARDS
Take a look around the streets and it’s clear Barcelona might just be the European capital of rollerbladers and skaters. Seeing the city this way gives you easy access to the tiny streets in the historic centre and most of all, it’s great exercise and just plain fun!
Two shops to consider when renting rollerblades or a skateboard in Barcelona:
- INERCIA: a very professional spot for renting rollerblades and skateboards. Head to their website to see prices. Make sure you bring a piece of ID to rent. The shop is located at 10 Roger de Flor near the Arc de Triomf metro stop (red line L1)
- BARCELONETA SURF SHOP: Great service, great products. It’s impossible to miss this classic surf and skate shop along the seafront. You’ll find it at 80-84 Passeig de Joan de Borbó near the Barceloneta metro stop (yellow line L4)
Places to Go Have a Skate
- MARBELLA SKATEPARK: you’ll find this just a couple metres from Mar Bella beach and the closest metro stop is Poble Nou (yellow line L4) – it’s brand new and filled with locals.
- THE BOARDWALK: all along the seafront you’ll find a designated lane for bikes, rollerblades, skateboards, segways etc. Start at the courtyard of the world-famous W Hotel (the sail-shaped hotel by the beach) and head all the way to the Forum.
- MACBA: found right in the heart of the eclectic Raval neighbourhood – the square in front of the MACBA modern art museum is the place for skateboarders.
- SANTS ESTACIÓ: another massive square found at metro stop Sants Estació (green line L3 or blue line L5) with tons of skate spots.
- PARC DEL FORUM: at metro stop Forum-Maresme (yellow line L4) you’ll find the biggest concert and festival space in Barcelona. The sheer amount of concrete, benches, ramps etc. make this another famous skateboarder spot.
- ARC DE TRIOMF: at Arc de Troimf metro stop (red line L1) there’s a a very long, narrow stretch of pavement starting at the Arc and going all the way down to Ciutadella Park.
GET AT ME IN THE COMMENTS NOW
Ready to scrape up those knees on the pavement?
Any questions you have on your Barcelona bike rental or any of the environmentally friendly transport options will be answered ASAP in the comments below.